The Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC (JIVE) is seeking candidates for
SCIENCE COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Job Level A)
to be located at JIVE, Dwingeloo, The Netherlands.
The European VLBI Network (EVN) is an interferometric array of radio telescopes spread throughout Europe, extending into Asia, Africa, and Puerto Rico, and often observes in conjunction with the e-MERLIN interferometer in the UK and the VLBA in the US. The Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC (JIVE) is a European Research Infrastructure Consortium whose primary mission is to operate the EVN VLBI correlator and provide front-line support to EVN users and member telescopes. JIVE is actively developing new correlator capabilities to promote scientific exploitation of real-time e-VLBI, topics within space science, and use of larger global VLBI arrays. JIVE also develops software tools in support of the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) and the broad-band upgrade of the EVN, and has led the pioneering work for the implementation of VLBI with the Square Kilometre Array (SKA). JIVE is hosted in Dwingeloo by ASTRON, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy. Dutch universities are within easy reach of Dwingeloo, and interaction with other radio-astronomy institutes throughout Europe provides for a vibrant research atmosphere. The JIVE staff is actively pursuing scientific research in a wide range of subjects from cosmology, active galactic nuclei, star formation, galactic/extragalactic transients to planetary science.
For further information regarding JIVE and the EVN, refer to www.jive.eu and www.evlbi.org
JIVE wishes to profile itself and the EVN further, attract new partners and responsibilities and foster a global collaboration in VLBI. In this context we are looking for a Communications Officer, who will have the ultimate responsibility for the internal and external Communication activities of JIVE and coordination with other JIVE staff.
We invite applications for the position of JIVE Science Communications Officer to become available per direct. Principal responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- advising JIVE staff and management on communication;
- measuring the deployment and effect of the communication efforts: analyses the data; evaluates the efforts on the basis of the set frameworks, makes proposals for improvement and implements them;
- contributing to the drafting, development, updating and implementation of communication policy and resulting guidelines and procedures;
- coordinating the dissemination of VLBI science results with the international partners, to the European community at large and the press;
- producing written material describing JIVE and the EVN as an excellent European research infrastructure;
- coordinating the production of diverse reports, the JIVE Annual Report and the EVN Newsletter;
- overseeing the production of advertising material aimed at policy makers, scientists and the general public;
- contributing to the on-line presence of the EVN and JIVE by collecting material for web sites and social media;
- In exceptional cases this position can be extended with additional responsibilities in policy development or web site development.
- an academic level of education, preferably MSc or higher in a science background;
- an education and/or 2+ years’ experience in science communication;
- a flawless command of written and spoken English is essential;
- Knowledge of Drupal CMS will also be an advantage for the consideration of the applicant.
- A fulltime temporary appointment in the service of the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I) for the duration of two years in first instance, which can be extended for a total duration of three years based on good performance (part-time can be negotiated);
- A gross monthly salary in scale 10 (WVOI), level depending on relevant experience;
- A holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.33% of the gross annual salary;
- A solid pension scheme (ABP);
- 42 vacation days per year on a full time basis;
- An excellent package of secondary benefits, including relocation expenses, an opportunity to participate in the collective healthcare insurance and parental leave;
- The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement Research Institutions (WVOI).
JIVE is an equal-opportunity employer. Applicants of any nationality/citizenship are eligible to apply.
Information:For more information about this vacancy, please contact the HR department (email@example.com). For additional enquiries please contact drs. Aukelien van den Poll (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications should contain a CV including examples of previous works. Please forward application materials to email@example.com, mentioning reference number JIVE2022/11. Please arrange for up to three letters of reference to be sent separately to the same address. All application materials should arrive by 1 March 2023.